Thursday, April 18, 2013

Orthorexia: When “perfect diet” becomes an obsession

A message from a blog follower goes:

“Dear David Wayne Fish, I want to be as healthy as I can be. Aside from exercising daily, I also make sure that I only eat healthy foods. But when I heard about this thing called “orthorexia” on TV, I was baffled. How do I know if I am suffering from it? ~ Miss Fussy.” 

I have an appointment with fellow San Diego fitness coaches later, but I can’t help answering Miss Fussy’s question through this blog post with some sense of urgency. Lately, there have been discussions in the media about orthorexia, which have caused confusion to many. It’s vital that people get factual information on the subject.

Image Source: althleanx.com

The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics defines orthorexia as “an unhealthy fixation on eating only healthy or ‘pure’ foods.” People who suffer from this disorder are driven by the obsessive desire to follow a healthy diet to the point that they severely restrict themselves from many types of nourishment.

Typically, orthorexics start by avoiding processed foods and eating only certified organic goods. Later on, they eliminate entire groups of food until they achieve the “perfect diet.”  Unfortunately, nutrients may be eliminated from the diet and orthorexics end up being malnourished.

Image Source: outlish.com

Orthorexia can also lead to social isolation. Orthorexics get extremely anxious around a shared meal where “unhealthy foods” are served. They may not also enjoy their food like normal people do. While consuming a healthy diet make them feel virtuous, bad food gives them a sense of guilt.

I personally think that orthorexia is a disorder that develops as a twisted response to the eating disorders of the recent years—anorexia nervosa and bulimia. It is ironic how the desire to eat healthy has, once again, driven many to madness. But since it is a new disorder, it may be put to a halt before it starts killing people. I advise those who think they are suffering from orthorexia to see a therapist before the disorder worsens.

That includes you, Miss Fussy.  

Image Source: healthxchange.com.sg

Connect with this Facebook page to get timely updates on health and wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment